Ways to help your pet with their allergies:
1. Apply a topical flea preventative to your pet monthly.
2. Keep grass cut short and avoid areas with tall grass.
3. Remove organic material from the yard / kennel area
4. Keep pets from going into crawl spaces and under porches.
5. Keep pets off the lawn for 1 to 2 hours after mowing or when the lawn is wet.
6. Avoid prolonged outdoor exposure during peak pollen counts, allergy season, when humidity is high and on windy days.
7. Confine your pet indoors in the early morning and evening when pollen counts are the highest.
8. Avoid letting your pet stick their head out of the car window while traveling.
9. Use a damp cloth to wipe your pet’s feet, face and body to remove pollen from their hair, coat and skin after being outside.
10. Close windows and use the air conditioner when possible.
11. Vacuum and dust frequently but restrict your pet’s access to these rooms while you are doing it.
12. Wash your pets bedding weekly in hot water (130F) and Dry your pets bedding in the dryer rather than outside.
13. Bathe your pet with hypoallergenic shampoo, leave in conditioners and use copious cool water rinses.
14. Keep your pets groomed or clipped to lessen the collection of pollen on their hair, coat and skin.
15. Avoid carpeting which harbors mites and fleas.
16. Remove dust collectors such as books, stuffed animals, newspaper stacks, knickknacks and plants.
17. Maintain humidity at 30 to 50% to limit mite and flea activity.
18. Avoid letting pets sleep on overstuffed furniture.
19. Dry steam clean carpets and upholstered furniture often (weekly is recommended).
20. Store food in airtight containers to limit storage mites.
21. Clean food storage areas and bins with chlorine bleach solutions
22. Additionally your veterinarian may recommend fatty acid supplements, prescription diets or food trials, steroids or anti- histamines to help your pet deal with their allergies.
23. Immunotherapy is available for pets after determining what their allergens are through laboratory testing.